When your air conditioner or furnace needs to be repaired or replaced, the most important decision is how to choose the right HVAC contractor.
- Ask for referrals. Ask friends, neighbors, and co-workers for contractor referrals. Or, let HVAC.com connect you with a pre-screened local contractor for free!
- Go online and look up contractors in your area and read their customer ratings and reviews. Happy customers are a good sign.
- Check the contractor’s website. Read each contractor’s website. How long have they been in business? Are they professional? Do their company values and culture resonate with you? Are these the kind of people you want to invite into your home?
- Call References. Ask contractors for customer references and call them. Ask about the contractor’s installation or service performance, and if the job was completed on time and within budget.
- Find Special Offers. A heating and cooling system is one of the largest purchases you’ll make as a homeowner. Keep your costs down by checking around for available rebates on energy-efficient qualified heating and cooling equipment.
- Expect a Home Evaluation. The contractor should spend significant time inspecting your current system and home to assess your needs. Does he ask good questions to make sure to address your needs?
- Get written itemized quotes. When comparing contractors’ proposals (bids), be sure to compare cost, warranties, system features, and energy efficiency. The lowest up-front price may not be the best deal if it’s not the most efficient because your energy costs will be higher for the life of the system.